Saturday, May 30, 2009

When a year passed

It was no different from every other morning, except this morning I was expected to consider myself a year older. I'm afraid, despite the leaps and bounds in science I still find the concept of time a mystery. OK, so it was my birthday and what milestone better than a birthday to look back.

Ironically, despite being out of work all year, it was one of the most eventful in my not-so-short life.

Most significant was sticking to my earlier decision of moving to USA. Admittedly no one could find fault if I had delayed coming to be with my husband. But then, how serious is a commitment that gets pushed to the back seat whenever not convenient?

It was also the most traumatic year I have faced. As a career oriented person, not having a job has been extremely self deprecatory. Lack of confidence, self esteem, extreme insecurity and the scary feeling of not being accepted by the local society plagued me all of last year. They still do, and I expect will continue till I get a job. The one dark blip in an otherwise wonderful life.

Talking of wonderful, I realised just how many friends I have who really care enough to give their time to me. Cliched as it sounds, I understand better that "Life is a mirror"; you see what you show, you get what you give. If there is anything I need to appreciate more, it is the immeasurable value of relationships. Never again will I make the mistake of falling out of touch with friends.

Another year has begun; eerily it once again involves a change, moving house. It's a second chance in some aspects. Insights gleaned over the last year should make me wiser and better.  Another year should tell.

For now, I only want to thank my friends for being such wonderful people!

3 comments:

  1. Chandan .. you write so well!!! I really loved this post. In a lot of ways, my life has been like this .. this last year, with a conscious decision that I took to stay back home with the kids.
    I have always been a big fan of you Chandan .. and you never cease to amaze me with all your talent :)

    Happy Birthday Belatedly!! :)

    Keep the pen flowing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chan! I know you had a good day and you deserve it! Have a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vandu! Thanks Abe! I'm sure the year ahead will be better; just be around to make it so :-)

    ReplyDelete