Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Finally I found a Loop !

Not long ago, whenever I traveled the one thing I never forgot to pack was my jogging gear; shoes, T-shirts, cap, track pants, iPod, charger. I mentally chalked a route for me to run (ok, jog, ok trot, whatever!)

In Bangalore, which was my home for almost 10 years I ran almost everyday. My favorite spots for running were the short 3.5 km strtch to/fro Agra Bus stand, the slightly longer 5 km to/fro stretch along Sarjapur Road, the 7.0 km weekend special loop around the Agara lake and of course this 5.3 km stretch along the airport runway where I inevitably and foolishly spent precious energy trying to race planes that were taking off ! I tried running all the way to Marathhalli and back; it was long, it was hot, it was tiring on the way back; definitely not trivial.

When I visited my parents in Goa, I accompanied my dad and his friends on their morning walks. While it was fun listening to their learned conversations the urge to run used to soon overcome me and excusing myself I'd run up to to our rendezvous point and wait for them. It was a beautiful quite road stretching 4.5 km, surrounded by tall dense trees and lush green paddy fields. Obviously these were the most refreshing runs I've had!

In Ahmadnagar when I visited my sister it was a slightly different matter; young ladies there just didn't got for runs! ... and well I didn't want to cause any discomfort. But my ever supportive bro-in-law shooed away my doubts and I had to admit that was just an excuse to stay home with my darling niece and nephew. But my dad, enterprising that he is, decided that he would walk with them while I went for a short run :-) These were indeed short runs, mere 2.5 km sprints.

In Mumbai I left the task to my brother; he shares my love for running and I never had to bother with laying any routes. Of course I loved the 4.0 km stretch to/fro Gorai. He also took me along some loops on the Link road and a maze of inner roads that only he knew how to navigate :)

For that matter I even ran along the next to my office when I visited California (can't chalk the route using google map), and also settled for an easy 2.2 miles lppo in Mt.Laurel during my 6 months stay in New Jersey

When I moved to Billerica, MA last year I tried chalking a loop for my runs, and instead signed up at the local gymwhere I rarely went.

Most of the roads around where I live have no sidewalks and running on the roads is a big no-no for me. There is a lovely recreation complex nearby which has a football ground and people do run loops there, but I have never enjoyed running round in circles. After several attempts like this 2.5 mile stretch to/fro Middlesex Tpk, and this shorter 1.6 mile to/fro the above mentioned Lampson Recreation Complex

I just couldn't get anything worthwhile... that is until today, when I decided to get out of my comfort zone and discovered this 2.7 mile loop. What made it more enjoyable was I could trade smiles and "hellos" with others who were walking the same loop :-)

I've finally discovered a loop that I enjoyed !




PS: For a better idea of the geography set your google map view to "Satellite"

4 comments:

  1. Hey add one more thing to your jogging gear, a small camera :) Last time I ran 10 kms when I was 16 yrs old for my martial art orange belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the 16km part of the test?! Cool!

    You don't need to run now; all the walking you do to get THE one perfect shot is sufficient :)

    Btw, one of my best camera trips was on my Ladybird cycle with the 35mm P&S and the Braun manual SLR in the basket.. along Airport Rd, Marathalli, Outer Ring Road and back. Good ol' times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For that matter I even ran along the next to my office when I visited California (can't chalk the route using google map)" - Missing the path? :) .

    But that sure brings back memories.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing all the good times, and, well raking in some new memories too :)

    ReplyDelete