Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Resumes from theLadders

I don't say leaders because as yet both the US presidential candidates have tons to do before claiming the title of a leader. However that's beside the point.

In my quest for a job in the USA I have registered at umpteen "career sites", the Ladders being one of them. It hosts only jobs that pay 100K +; hence is an elite membership with the option of paid or free. Of course as a free member there is not much of an edge. When I signed up as a paid member I got a free resume review (which I admit was very helpful, though not productive). I also got an offer for them to redo my resume and also give a cover letter at a discounted rate. When I didn't take it within the offer expiry timeline they also offered to keep it open till I decide later.

However all that never helped me get a job and I am still looking.. but again, that s beside the point. The reason I describe my experience with them is to give some sort of positive background.

Today in their daily newsletter I got this article that talked about how a great resume should look. They have put up resumes for Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama. It is worth a look.


PS: In a separate post they've also mentioned some quick-fix Q&A kind of strategy to prepare your personal brand. Here is a quick look:

Develop Your Brand
Begin to develop your personal brand by probing your stand-out experiences, skills, and talents, with the following statements:

  • My background is unique because _____.
  • My _____ makes me different from others who do the same job.
  • As a [insert career title here], I've developed a reputation for _____.
  • At the heart of my experience are these three strengths: _____, _____, ______.
  • My former managers/peers would agree that the reason I am so good at what I do is _____.
  • I have a natural talent for ______, which makes me better than most at what I do

No comments:

Post a Comment